Friday, October 19, 2012

Classically Rosie the Riveter

I love looking at vintage repurposed. Not that there’s very much of it going on in my décor or clothing. But I love admiring other people who reuse vintage things in unique or classically modern ways. This is one of my wanna-be moments. When I have a little more leeway in where I can decorate (instead of my little apartment), I’ll have to try some of what I have admired. For now, I’ll stick mostly to admiring.

One vintage look that I’ve admired for some time now is the handkerchief/bandana-tied-around-hair look. After doing some research, I discovered that the style I was picturing in my mind is associated with Rosie the Riveter, a cultural icon representing the American women who worked in factories during WWII.


I also found a great website dedicated to “pin up” style that had clear instructions, as well as a funny, but instructional video on how to tie a handkerchief/bandana around your hair. I was off and running!

I maybe became slightly obsessed once I figured out how to tie the bandana haha. I had to buy a bandana first, and when I got home, I immediately tried out my new-found skills. Success! I dolled up my makeup, put on some dangle pearl earrings, and I had my look. I liked it so much, I wore it Saturday, Sunday, and to work on Monday! Then I remembered “everything in moderation” and took a few days off. But still, I know how it’s done now, so it’s all forward from here!




Check out this website here that was my inspiration! Seriously, the video at the beginning is really really funny :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment